This blog is about living Vegan. It includes Vegan lifestyle, Vegan events, and anything else I find interesting.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Stack 'em High, Tough Guy

French Toast. The quintessential weekend morning meal. When I was a kid, my dad made French Toast or Pancakes every Saturday and Sunday morning, it was great! As an adult, my husband and I have always had irregular schedules and we weren't able to continue the tradition. However, last week, my husband's schedule changed and he now has off every Sunday: let the tradition begin!! Last week we had a Tofu Scrambler breakfast and this week I made French Toast. Let's just say that I'm lovin' it.

Recipe:
French Toast


1 loaf white bread (I use Italian)
2 Tbs unbleached flour
2 Tbs sugar (if you don't use white sugar, it won't 'brown' like regular French Toast)
2 Tbs sweetner (I use Splenda, but you can use Sugar in the Raw, Sucanat, Maple Syrup, whatever)
1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp oil
Vanilla Soymilk (about 1 1/2 cups)

In a 2 or 4 cup glass measuring cup, combine flour, sugar, sweetner, Nutritional Yeast, and Cinnamon. Add soymilk until mixture reaches the 2-cup mark. Add vanilla and oil. Whip together with a wisk until smooth. In a flat bowl, pour 1/2 cup of the mixture to cover bottom of bowl. Dip bread one piece at a time, using a fork to flip. Completely coat both sides with mixture. Place dipped bread immediately onto hot, oiled skillet. Fry over medium heat approximately 2 minutes per side, until browned and crispy. Repeat with each slice until mixture is used up. Place cooked slices on lightly oiled cookie sheet and place in oven on "warm" (120 degrees) until ready to eat.
Top with Maple Syrup and Margarine.

4 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

look great! I love there is vegan french toast... I've never eaten regular french toast since I've always hated eggs!

July 30, 2006 2:34 PM

 
Blogger KleoPatra said...

I LOVE VEGAN FRENCH TOAST!! My grandmother would make something like this for me when i was a little girl since i was allergic to eggs. Ah, memories. Thanks...

And here's to traditions! SO GLAD you and yer husband will be able to spend Sundays hangin' out together. Hooray!

July 31, 2006 12:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vegan French toast. My world is now complete!

July 31, 2006 1:48 AM

 
Blogger karen said...

I love french toast! How wonderful to spend a lazy Sunday together having breakfast. Thanks for visiting my blog!

July 31, 2006 9:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home