This blog is about living Vegan. It includes Vegan lifestyle, Vegan events, and anything else I find interesting.

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Total..ly Not Vegan


I have eaten Total cereal for years. It was great because it had so many vitamins and minerals - I always felt like I was getting something out of my breakfast.

Needless to say, I was shocked to find that they have added "lactose" to their ingredient list. I have no idea how long ago this happened, I'd like to think I only ate a few bowls of "contaminated" cereal!

So yeah, Total is Totally Not Vegan.

8 Comments:

Blogger laura k said...

Hmm, that's too bad. I haven't eaten Total in awhile, but I remember it being vegan and I probably wouldn't have thought twice about having a bowl if it was handy! Thanks for the info.

January 13, 2007 2:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, it's such a bummer. You have to constantly read labels. Even for things you've purchased in the past because who knows when they change their ingredients (often for no good reason!). I wish there was a labeling mandate where the manufacturers had to say vegan or not right on the package (and that the manufacturers actually knew what vegan meant). :)

January 13, 2007 9:09 PM

 
Blogger jenny said...

I agree, consistent labeling would be great!

January 14, 2007 1:49 PM

 
Blogger bazu said...

What the hell...? I didn't know Total did this. Oh well, their grains are probably GMO anyway- good riddance!
I agree with Crystal, I wish we had a labeling mandate like other countries. The allergen warnings are a good start. I like how Wegman's store brand has a "V" sign for vegan.

January 14, 2007 4:29 PM

 
Blogger Brooke said...

That stinks! My hubbie eats Total, and I always check the ingredients of his food just in case it might be vegan, and I seem to remember that it was last time I bought it....so maybe it is a new thing with them.

January 14, 2007 7:00 PM

 
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Why do they have to add crap when it was just fine before?

January 15, 2007 8:37 PM

 
Blogger Nikk said...

So glad I weaned myself off cereal awhile ago!

January 16, 2007 2:22 PM

 
Blogger Mikaela said...

That total...ly blows :P

January 17, 2007 9:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home