This blog is about living Vegan. It includes Vegan lifestyle, Vegan events, and anything else I find interesting.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Product Review: Silk

I like Silk's new ad campaign. I think it's good for Veganism (giving cows human-like characteristics) and I think it will appeal to middle school / junior high school kids and maybe even their parents.

I'm a big fan of Silk. I like the flavor of their soymilk. I felt like Silk was my savior - as a new vegan I only drank Vanilla Edensoy and throught I'd have to live the rest of my life without creamy drinks, smoothies, milkshakes, or cereal (lets face it, Edensoy isn't that great by itself). I've had other brands since then (SunSoy Chocolate is pretty good but too hard to find) but Silk remains my favorite.

I buy the Single Serve Very Vanilla and Chocolate and keep them in my desk at work for a light snack or to put on cereal/oatmeal. They're the perfect size and are good cold or room temperature. (Speaking of single-serve, I wish they would reintroduce the strawberry single serve!!)

Silk Smoothies are a guilty pleasure. They're a little pricey for every day consumption (about $1.73 at Wegmans) but are so yummy. They're basically a yogurt and fruit smoothie. They are rich, creamy, sweet, and fruity with a little tang to let you know it's yogurt. I often will buy one and drink it as I'm grocery shopping at Wegman's or if I can contain myself I'll wait and drink it in the car on the way home.

I also like the creamer. I saw the quart-sized creamer once at Whole Foods in NYC but have never seen it around here. I bring the pint sized containers with me when it's my turn to do "breakfast" at work and have not yet had a single complaint; most people say how good it is and many have told me they've switched from their usual creamer to Silk after trying it! I also use it in baking recipes. It's $1.89 at Wegmans (where they have many flavors) but only $1.00 at Giant (where they only have either Plain or Vanilla depending on the shipment).

Talking about Silk gets me excited for the Holidays when Silk Nog will be available. I've been known to buy cases of it and stock my fridge so it's available to me well into February. Yumm!

10 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

I love the silk commercials too.. and the french vanilla creamer is delicious.

I haven't seen the smoothies anywhere in my neck of the woods..

August 19, 2006 12:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't tried the creamer yet but after your positive review, I'll definitely try to locate it around here. I enjoy cream in my coffee and since becoming vegan haven't really found a suitable substitute (soy milk just doesn't cut it for me). Can't wait to find it! Yay!!!! It's like Christmas. :)

August 19, 2006 3:49 PM

 
Blogger urban vegan said...

Silk Nog? Gotta try that.

I usually buy Whole Foods Soy Milk b/c it's cheaper, but Silk Chocolate and Silk Coffee are two of my favorite splurges. And we use the Silk Creamer religiously. Makes a mean, low-fat alfredo sauce, too.

August 19, 2006 10:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll have to re-try the silk creamer one of these days. I'm not a big user of soy milk, but I was just thinking about the ad campaign too. I like the one where the "dad" is scared to try the soy milk, but I wonder what they were drinking before... certainly not his wife's milk. Ewwww... I wonder if any one else makes that connection. Certainly makes you think again about what milk ACTUALLY is.

August 20, 2006 11:36 AM

 
Blogger jenny said...

I thought the same thing about what he was drinking before, how gross!!

As for Whole Foods soy milk I did drink that a lot when in philly (I liked that it was shelf stable) but I'm so far from Whole Foods now it's not worth it.

August 20, 2006 2:35 PM

 
Blogger Harmonia said...

I'm totally loving your blog! I hope you don't mind if I link you and visit often! :)

Saw you on the fat free vegan blog! I'm at:
http://harmonia.bloggoing.com incase you are surfing later.

August 21, 2006 9:43 AM

 
Blogger karen said...

Silk nog! Yum- I can't wait for the holidays! I do love the choc silk. I have a coupon for silk this week, so I'll pick some up. It is a bit more expensive than the westsoy I usualy buy. I can't wait to try the silk live...

August 21, 2006 9:07 PM

 
Blogger karen said...

oh- almost forgot- I love those silk commercials- esp where the girl drinks her roomates silk and she doesn'thave enough for cereal.

I am glad they do these because I hate those happy cows come from california commercials for milk... SO misleading.

August 21, 2006 9:10 PM

 
Blogger KleoPatra said...

I am a fan of SILK. I was so excited to go shopping earlier today w/my mom to a place called "Henry's Marketplace" and even more excited when i saw coupons there for SILK. Got the chocolate "light" one. Sooooooo amazing.

I haven't seen the SILK commercials but i like what you say they are about, Jenny.

EdenSoy is not my fave... never has been... i feel bad about that 'cause it's probably one of the originals...

August 22, 2006 12:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the review. I'm now going to try the creamer!

August 23, 2006 9:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home