This blog is about living Vegan. It includes Vegan lifestyle, Vegan events, and anything else I find interesting.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Restaurant Review: (New) Harmony

New Harmony is located at 135 N. 9th Street (between Race Street and Vine Street), Phila- delphia. I went out to dinner last night at New Harmony (I realized though, that people who actually say "New" Harmony as opposed to Harmony, are N00bs.) We ordered the "Dinner for Two $23.95." It consists of Tofu Vegetable Soup, Scalllion Pancakes with ginger dipping sauce, Shrimp with Walnuts, Ham and Vegetables, Brown Rice, and Fried Bananas. When the soup came out, I reached in my purse for my camera and realized I left it at home!

A travesty.

Anyway, these pictures are of the leftover Shrimp and Ham and Veggies.

The Shrimp with Walnuts was way different than the last time I got it - this time it was topped with their homemade mayonaise. Now, I've never actually had "real" Shrimp with Walnuts, but I doubt they put mayo on it. It would have been great if not for the mayo.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Kristine said...

nummers...

June 23, 2006 12:43 PM

 
Blogger Kelly Peeples said...

Actually, a lot of places *do* put a mayo-based sauce (I think the local place has a honey-mayo type sauce) on their walnut shrimp that is absolutely delicious. It hadn't even occurred to me to do it vegan, but then, I hadn't considered a vegan alternative to shrimp. What did they use?

June 23, 2006 1:48 PM

 
Blogger jenny said...

That's so weird! Harmony never used mayo sauce before...I wasn't into it...

They use a brand of fake shrimp that you can get in Chinatown in NYC or Philly. They also have it at Food Fight, but it's frozen so I don't know if they'll ship it...If you're in the Portland area there's a place called Veggie Tai that has an amazing fake shrimp dish.

June 23, 2006 2:45 PM

 
Blogger t. said...

For a split second the dish description made me go:"shrimps? I thought she was strctly vegan..." and then the light! Someone actually makes mock shrimps?? I have had once mock lobster but I have never ever heard of mock shrimps before!
And how amusing to see a restaurant on My Space (or it just me falling way behind?)!

June 23, 2006 7:08 PM

 
Blogger roy barclay said...

Fake seafood creeps me out to no end. I rufuse to eat it. But, Kingdom always used a mayo sauce on their walnut shrimp, so I'm assuming that's a carryover from Ming purchasing Harmony. Remember when Kingdom was way better than Harmony, and the only reason to even stop at Harmony was beef buns? I think the only person I know who used to prefer Harmony was Hanson.

June 23, 2006 11:06 PM

 
Blogger KleoPatra said...

YUM!!! Looks good...

June 25, 2006 2:00 AM

 
Blogger jenny said...

Zenith had a fake shrimp dish, too - complete with vegan mayo.

I'm just bummed that Harmony and Kingdom both have the mayo-sauce. I'll have to see if they'll skip it next time.

As for Harmony, I was always a fan of their Tofu Skin Knots with Vegetarian Ham, but Ming doesn't carry it anymore (there's a dish by the same name but it's not even close).

As for beef buns, Gian goes crazy over them (I brought him one home from this trip) but I don't like them very much.

My omni-brother who went with me on this trip loved the beef buns, too. It's definitely a popular item!

June 25, 2006 1:54 PM

 
Blogger jenny said...

Klint - I remember going to Kingdom for either the Sesame Chicken or the All-You-Can-Eat Dim Sum and then stopping at Harmony to get Hanson or Gian a beef bun for the trip home!

June 25, 2006 1:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home