This blog is about living Vegan. It includes Vegan lifestyle, Vegan events, and anything else I find interesting.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Garden Salad

As I mentioned before, my parents are avid gardners. My dad brought over a bounty of spring veggies yesterday, and today we had a gigantic garden salad for dinner.

First, I made my own croutons.

Recipe:

Rosemary Croutons
1/4 loaf Sourdough Bread
2 Tbs Rosemary (dried or fresh)
4 Tbs Olive Oil
1 tsp Salt












Cut bread into cubes. Place in bowl and add olive oil, salt, and rosemary. Toss to coat. Turn oven on to Broil. Lay croutons onto baking sheet. Toast in oven for 2 minutes on each side.

To make the salad, I first put some fresh lettuce (cut into small pieces) on the plate. Then I added sliced tomatoes, fresh sugar snap peas, lightly sauteed Morning Star Farms Chicken & Beef Strips, dried dates, sliced almonds, and of course, the croutons.


Recipe:

Garden Salad
1 bag Spring Mix Lettuce, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 pint Sugar Snap Peas, halved
1 small Tomato, sliced
1/4 cup Dried Dates
2 Tbs Sliced Almonds
1 tsp Sea Salt
10 strips Morning Star Farms Chicken / Beef Strips
1/2 cup Rosemary Croutons
Layer lettuce, tomato, dates, and almonds onto your plate.

Lightly sautee "meat" strips until hot, set aside to cool.

Place snap peas in a microwave safe bowl with 2 Tbs water, microwave on high for 1 minute. Set aside to cool.

Prepare croutons, set aside to cool.

Top salad with strips, peas, and croutons.

Dress as desired, serve cold.

As you can see, it was a big hit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home