This blog is about living Vegan. It includes Vegan lifestyle, Vegan events, and anything else I find interesting.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Yogurt?


I love Silk Yogurt. I eat the Strawberry or Raspberry flavor every day for lunch. Wegmans has it for $0.69 a cup, which is much more reasonable than Giant's $1.19 per cup. However, I buy Plain by the quart any time they have it in stock. I'll add Splenda, Maple Syrup, or other flavors (mint-lime, strawberry jam, vanilla, chocolate, blueberry, lemon, etc.)

This got me thinking that since it is much more economical to buy it by the quart, it is probably even more economical to make it myself.

I did some reseach online and found this Salton Yogurt Maker on Amazon.


It seems easy enough - you would add soymilk and some plain yogurt, warm in a pot, pour into the maker, turn it on, and 10 hours later you would have some home made soy yogurt.

Here are my concerns:

Will it be smooth and creamy like Silk? Will it be thick? Will it separate, especially if I bring it to lunch? Will it have the same nutritional value as store-bought Silk?

Has anyone had experience making their own soy yogurt?

I'm on the fence.

8 Comments:

Blogger urban vegan said...

I thought about this but I don't have enough room for a yogurt maker--plus I only eat it once in a while. I guess if I had one, I would make ygurt to use in baked goods--I like the texture it gives them.

Keep us posted (yuk-yuk) on your progress.

June 25, 2007 10:47 PM

 
Blogger KleoPatra said...

i have been thinking about this as well since i am a big soy yogurt fan! i haven't had regular yogurt in years, and wonder if it would be pretty easy to make my own soy! Or rice, or almond, etc.

Wouldn't it be great if we could just like TRY things like this out a few times to see if we really want them and then have no hassle if/when we wanted to return them???

June 26, 2007 12:28 AM

 
Blogger jenny said...

kleo-
Part of the concern I have is that in some of the reviews I have read, people say that non-dairy milks, while they work, tend to have "odd" consistencies when you make them at home - in fact, I read that almond and rice milk doesn't work very well at all (because of their low protein content) so I'm hesitant to experiment...
I think I'll keep my eye on eBay and see if I can score one for less $$ so I won't be disappointed if I don't like it!

June 26, 2007 9:59 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I purchased one a while back and I've made yogurt a few times. I use Bryanna's recipe and I think the texture is great (although I usually incubate it longer to thicken it even further). We usually stir in some all-fruit preserves for a little extra taste.

June 26, 2007 10:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooops, that was me. I guess I was signed in under my freecycle account. :)

June 26, 2007 10:32 AM

 
Blogger Amey said...

yeah, I was just going to mention that Bryanna over at The Vegan Feast has some carefully crafted soy yogurt recipes.

:)

June 26, 2007 10:55 AM

 
Blogger Mikaela said...

Making your own yogurt is not only more economical, but also a more sustainable way to consume one of your favorite snacks. Besides the packaging you'll be eliminating, think of the all the other costs associated with the manufacturing and distribution of commercial yogurt - the "embodied energy," if you will. I think you should go for it! :D

Susan V. at FatFree Vegan Kitchen has posted about making soy yogurt, too. She's always got good, honest advice :)

June 26, 2007 12:43 PM

 
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Jenny, thanks for the comment, i did not realize that a low protein content would translate to a problematic yogurt making, but that makes sense. And the consistency thing is something that makes sense as well, tho i remember regular milk could be kinda odd in consistency as well. Keep an eye on eBay, that is a great idea... or maybe Craigslist??

June 26, 2007 9:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home