This blog is about living Vegan. It includes Vegan lifestyle, Vegan events, and anything else I find interesting.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Oh, George....


I was eating an apricot last night when George came along and very stealthily swiped the pit. I looked over at him and commanded that he 'drop it' but he just looked at me and quickly gulped it down. It was a rather large pit, so I panicked.

After a quick google search, I determined that apricot pits are actually very dangerous! They contain a small amount of cyanide that while only marginally harmful to humans in small doses can be fatal for dogs. I then frantically searched for "How to make your dog throw up" and found an article on About.com.

(I should mention that this was around 11:00PM - so obviously my vet was closed.)

I followed the directions and gave George 2 teaspoons of Hydrogen Peroxide to induce vomiting. At this point I called Gian down to assist. It took two of us to get it down his throat, I imagine it couldn't be very pleasant. We waited. And waited. And waited some more. Then we got impatient and gave him another dose.

That did the trick, after looking at us plaintifly silently saying, "Why are you doing this to me??!! I trusted you!" George threw up. And kept throwing up. The poor thing. But a half-hour later he was fine and the pit was safely in the garbage where it belonged (I may have given him some extra treats in the meantime to soothe his belly).

Anyway, moral of the story is, George is dumb enough to eat a pit, a toxic pit at that. Oh, and Hydrogen Peroxide makes dogs throw up without any other major side effects.

7 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Jenny, I can't help but giggle a little bit at this one! (Now that we know George is a-ok.) It's like the time I almost decapitated the pet chicken at the nature center I used to work at! Animals can get themselves into bunches of trouble sometimes!

June 14, 2007 11:25 PM

 
Blogger Johanna3 said...

Poor George!

is good to know he is better now!

June 15, 2007 9:05 AM

 
Blogger KleoPatra said...

Wow, wow, wow... what a total terrifying nightmare. You did the right thing by acting swiftly and safely. I'm so sorry this happened to sweet George. i applaud you big time for your saving grace and the way you saved him, Jenny. Big time, way to go kudos here... and this is good info to know in case of emergency, so thank you for sharing. So happy there is a happy ending.

June 16, 2007 2:14 AM

 
Blogger Vivacious Vegan said...

What a scary incident. I'm glad I now know that apricot pits are dangerous for dogs and that hydrogen peroxide induces vomiting (who would have thought).

June 16, 2007 4:48 PM

 
Blogger Mihl said...

Oh that poor dog! I can understand how you felt. I am glad he's alright now.

June 18, 2007 12:49 PM

 
Blogger Vincent Guihan said...

Wow, well, I'm glad you got the pit out of him.

June 18, 2007 12:50 PM

 
Blogger jenny said...

We were very lucky, indeed!

June 23, 2007 5:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home