This blog is about living Vegan. It includes Vegan lifestyle, Vegan events, and anything else I find interesting.

Friday, October 24, 2008

Local Finds

There are farms all over my area, the grocery stores also carry tons of local produce, and there's a weekend Farmer's Market nearby where you can score some delicious goodies.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of organic farms. That said, below is my most recent score - the cucumbers are from my dad's garden, they're organic (and awesome!), the cherry tomatoes and corn are from a local farm, the tomatoes are the sweetest I've had in a very long time.

The strawberry-rhubarb jam is from another local farm, she makes an amazing array of home-canned items such as pickles, jams, 'salads' (like 3-bean salads), etc. She had a lot of delicious sounding varieties such as peach-thyme, melon-mint, cantelope, jalepeno, etc.

I could not resist making a tomato-cucumber salad - I added 1.5 Tbs olive oil, 1 Tbs 3-leaf balsamic vinegar, 2 tsp sea salt, and a large handful of fresh chopped basil.

Yum!!

The best part about shopping local is that you know the ingredients are fresh. When I bought the corn, the farmer actually went out to the field and picked a dozen ears for me, he then told me to eat them within 8 hours as he said that around 8 hours after being picked, the sugars would begin to break down. How cool is that! We ate the corn within about 4 hours, and he was right, it was incredible sweet and crispy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen Treehugger said...

That Salad looks sooo good. I am a complete sucker for Reds and Greens - we eat with our eyes first right?!
You can't beat fresh produce, whenever I do buy stuff from the supermarket I am always let down at the poor quality of Fruits and Veggies - it really shouldn't be a surprise to me now. And it teaches me not to miss the FM on a Sunday morning (big clue there as to why I sometimes do miss it and am forced to go to the supermarket!)
:)

October 28, 2008 6:07 AM

 
Blogger Bex said...

the salad looks great. I'm lucky to have lots of farms around me too. I can usually buy organic sometimes not. My biggest struggle is bell peppers which are available organic but usually not locally and soooo expensive.

October 29, 2008 10:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home