This blog is about living Vegan. It includes Vegan lifestyle, Vegan events, and anything else I find interesting.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Grandmothers

My grandmother is crazy. When I got married she had a hard time with a few of the details. First, she couldn't quite get over the fact that the ceremony not only was not in a church, but was not officiated by someone with any religious affiliation. Then, she couldn't understand that I kept my name (I didn't even both trying to explain that I go by Ms.). To that end, she has addressed every card she has sent to me since my marriage to "Mrs. Giancarlo Lastname." I can't tell if it's a passive agressive attempt at forcing my conformity or if she just truly does not understand. I've spoken to her about it several times, but she just looks at me with a blank stare. It's kind of ridiculous.

Anyway, I think that it's utterly ridiculous that women are expected to change their entire identity when they get married. I just can't get behind that.

2 Comments:

Blogger urban vegan said...

I hear you!

I kept my last name, too, but most people in my family still address me as Mrs. Omniman. It used to bug me when I was younger, but now, I just shake my head and laugh it off.

November 29, 2006 10:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes grandmas are just so set in their ways. I often wonder if I'm going be that stereotypical old lady. I'd like to think I'm going to stay hip and cool. Ok, ok. Not that I'm hip and cool now. Let me rephrase that to "open-minded." :-)

November 30, 2006 9:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home